- Product Name:
- T-BUTYL CATECHOL
- Product Categories:
- Building Blocks
- Chemical Synthesis
- Organic Building Blocks
- Oxygen Compounds
- Organic Building Blocks
- Oxygen Compounds
- Industrial/Fine Chemicals
- Mol File:
4-tert-Butylcatechol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 52-55 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:
- 285 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure
- <1 hPa (25 °C)
- refractive index
- n20/D 1.508
- Flash point:
- >230 °F
- storage temp.
- Store below +30°C.
- methanol: soluble1g/10 mL, clear, colorless to slightly yellow
- powder to lump
- White to Light yellow to Light red
- Water Solubility
- 0.2 g/100 mL (25 ºC)
- Exposure limits
- ACGIH: TWA 5 ppm (Skin)
NIOSH: TWA 5 ppm(20 mg/m3)
- 1.98 at 25℃
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 98-29-3(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- 1,2-Benzenediol, 4-(1,1-dimethylethyl)-(98-29-3)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- p-tert-Butylcatechol (98-29-3)
- Hazard Codes
- Risk Statements
- Safety Statements
- UN 2923 8/PG 3
- WGK Germany
- Autoignition Temperature
- 160 °C
- HS Code
- LD50 orally in Rabbit: 815 mg/kg LD50 dermal Rat 1331 mg/kg
4-tert-Butylcatechol Usage And Synthesis
Para-tertiary butyl catechol is specially prepared by reacting the impure catechol fraction with tertiary butyl alcohol. Used for its various properties (inhibition of polymerization and as an antioxidizing agent) in the manufacture of rubber, plastics and paints, in the preparation of petrolatum products, and as an antioxidant in oils, it may induce vitiligo.
white to cream flakes
Polymerization inhibitor for styrene-butadiene and other olefins.
Inhibitor-remover packings and ready-to-use, disposable prepacked columns offer a quick and convenient means of removing small amounts of inhibitors which are added to reagents or solvents that would otherwise be unstable (e.g., they may polymerize, oxidize or darken) on storage.
The inhibitor removers are useful in applications which require that the stabilizer or inhibitor [i.e., hydroquinone (HQ), hydroquinone monomethyl ether (MEHQ, 4-methoxyphenol) or 4-tert-butylcatechol (TBC)] be removed prior to use.
4-tert-butylcatechol (PTBC) is used as an antioxidant in fats, oils, and mineral oils, and as a stabilizer in polyester resins and polystyrene resins. A concentration of PTBC (up to 0.005%) can be found in paints, glues, thermal paper, lubricating oil, and mineral oil products.
4-tert-Butylcatechol is widely utilized as an inhibitor in polymerization of butadiene, styrene, vinyl acetate and other reactive monomers. It plays an important role in the synthesis of tungsten oxide nanoparticles by nonaqueous sol-gel process. It acts as a stabilizer in the manufacturing of polyurethane foam. It is employed as an antioxidant for synthetic rubber, polymers and oil derivatives. It is also utilized as a purification agent for aminoformate catalysts.
4-tert-Butylcatechol,in the presence of O2 catalyzed by tyrosinase, yields 4-tert-butyl-o-benzoquinone. Electrochemical oxidation of 4-tert-Butylcatechol in the presence of 4-hydroxycoumarin as nucleophile has been studied using cyclic voltammetry and controlled-potential coulometry. It undergoes electrochemical trimerization via anodic oxidation and mechanism of trimerization has been studied using cyclic voltammetry and controlled-potential coulometry.
Toxic by ingestion and skin absorption.
Flammability and Explosibility
p-tert-Butyl catechol is specially prepared by reacting the impure catechol fraction with tertiary butyl alcohol. It is used for its various properties (inhibitor of polymerization and antioxidizing agent) in the manufacture of rubber, plastics, and paints, in the preparation of petrolatum products, and as an antioxidant in oils. It may induce vitiligo.
A poison by intravenous route. Moderately toxic by ingestion and skin absorption. A severe skin and eye irritant. Mutation data reported. Combustible when exposed to heat or flame. To fight fire, use Con, dry chemical, fog, mist. When heated to decomposition it emits acrid and irritating fumes
Distil it in a vacuum, then recrystallise it from pentane or pet ether (or *C6H6). [Beilstein
- 0510-85840252 400-005-1800
- 025-85499326 15366059326
- 021-62211590 18917958225
- 0311-66561638 15612150222
- 2,6-Dichlorostyrene, 96%, stab. with 0.1% 4-tert-butylcatechol
- Styrene, 99%, stab. with 10-15ppm 4-tert-butylcatechol
- Dicyclopentadiene,typically95%,stab.with150-250ppmp-tert-Butylcatechol,Dicyclopentadiene, 90+%, stab. with 4-tert-butylcatechol
- 2-Bromostyrene, 97%, stab. with tert-butylcatechol,2-Bromostyrene, stabilised with tert-butylcatechol, 98%,2-BROMOSTYRENE , STABILIZED WITH TERT-BUTYLCATECHOL
- 4-Methoxystyrene, 98%, stab. with 0.1% 4-tert-butylcatechol
- Aluminum oxide
- 3-FLUOROSTYRENE , STABILIZED WITH 0.1% 4-TERT-BUTYLCATECHOL
- Methyl 4-tert-butylbenzoate
- DI-TERT-BUTYL ETHER
- Recombinant Human Telomerase