- Product Name:
- 3 4-XYLENOL 98+%
- 3,4-DIMETHYLPHENOL PESTANAL
- 3,4-Dimethylphenol, 98+%
- 3, 4-Xylenol (3,4-Dimethylphenol)
- Product Categories:
- Aromatic Phenols
- Industrial/Fine Chemicals
- Mol File:
3,4-Dimethylphenol Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 65-68 °C
- Boiling point:
- 227 °C(lit.)
- 1,138 g/cm3
- 3596 | 3,4-XYLENOL
- refractive index
- Flash point:
- 61 °C
- storage temp.
- Store below +30°C.
- pK1:10.32 (25°C)
- Crystalline Powder
- Off-white to pale cream
- explosive limit
- Water Solubility
- SLIGHTLY SOLUBLE
- JECFA Number
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 95-65-8(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Phenol, 3,4-dimethyl-(95-65-8)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- 3,4-Dimethylphenol (95-65-8)
3,4-Dimethylphenol Usage And Synthesis
3,4-methylphenol (also 3,4-xylenol) has a flat, dry odor. It can be used as a flavoring agent without safety concern at current levels of intake. 3,4-dimethylphenol is used as an agent in the spectrophotometric method to determine nitrate in plants, soils, and water. It is also used to produce adhesive/sealant and resins as negative photoresist for electroplating.
 R. R. Elton-Bott, A modified spectrophotometric method for nitrate in plants, soils and water by nitration of 3,4-dimethylphenol, Analytica Chimica Acta, 1977, vol. 90, 215-221
 George A. Burdock, Fenaroli’s Handbook of Flavor Ingredients, Sixth Edition, 2010
 Chia L. Wang, John Davis, Bryan Lienke, Polyurethane systems having non-sag paintability and primerless adhesion on concrete, Patent, 2012
 Yasuo Masuda, Yasushi Washio, Koji Saito, Method of forming plated product using negative photoresist composition and photosensitive composition used therein, Patent, 2012
YELLOW TO BROWNISH CRYSTALLINE MASS
Reported found in coffee, tomato, parmesan and romano cheese, smoked fatty fish, white wine, katsuobushi (dried bonito) and wood vinegar.
Aroma threshold values
Detection: 1.2 ppm
Colorless to light tan crystalline powder or solid. Odor threshold 1.2 mg/L. Taste threshold 0.05 mg/L.
Air & Water Reactions
Hygroscopic. Insoluble in water.
3,4-Dimethylphenol is incompatible with bases, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, and oxidizing agents. 3,4-Dimethylphenol corrodes steel, brass, copper, and copper alloys.
Flash point data for 3,4-Dimethylphenol are not available. 3,4-Dimethylphenol is probably combustible.
Heat 3,4-xylenol with an equal weight of conc H2SO4 at 103-105o for 2-3hours, then dilute it with four volumes of water, reflux it for 1hour, and either steam distil or extract it repeatedly with diethyl ether after cooling to room temperature. The steam distillate is also extracted and evaporated to dryness. (The purification process depends on the much slower sulfonation of 3,4-dimethylphenol than most of its likely contaminants.). It can also be crystallised from water, hexane or pet ether, and sublimed in a vacuum. [Kester Ind Eng Chem (Anal Ed) 24 770 1932, Bernasconi & Paschalis J Am Chem Soc 108 29691986, Beilstein 6 IV 3099.]
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- +49 3493/605464
- 400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- ALIZARIN COMPLEXONE
- 3,4-dihydro-5,6,7-trimethoxy-2-naphthoic acid
- 2,6-Dimethylphenol, 99.8%,2,6-Dimethylphenol,99%,2,6-DIMETHYLPHENOL PESTANAL
- DIMETHYLPHENOL,2,4-(SG),2,4-DIMETHYLPHENOL(2,4-XYLENOL),2,4-DIMETHYLPHENOL, 1X1ML, MEOH, 5000UG/ ML,2,4-dimethylphenol solution
- Dimethyl sulfoxide
- Dimethyl sulfone
- XYLENOL ORANGE
- 2,5-Dimethylphenol, tech., 97%,2,5-DIMETHYLPHENOL, 99+%,2,5-Dimethylphenol,97%,2,5-DIMETHYLPHENOL/ GEMFIBROZIL
- Bromocresol green
- CHLOROPHOSPHONAZO III
- 3,5-Dimethylphenol,>98%,3,5-DIMETHYLPHENOL, 1000MG, NEAT,3,5-dimethylphenol solution