- Product Name:
- Tetrabromobisphenol A
- TETRABROMOBISPHENOL A CARBONATE OLIGOMER
- 3,5,3',5'-Tetrabromobisphenol A
- Great lakes BA-59P
- Product Categories:
- Functional Materials
- Reagent for High-Performance Polymer Research
- Flame retardant series
- Bisphenol A type Compounds (for High-Performance Polymer Research)
- Color Former & Related Compounds
- Mol File:
Tetrabromobisphenol A Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 178-181 °C(lit.)
- Boiling point:
- 316 °C
- refractive index
- 1.5000 (estimate)
- storage temp.
- Water Solubility
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 79-94-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- 2A (Vol. 115) 2018
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Phenol, 4,4'-(2,2-propanediyl) bis[2,6-dibromo]-(79-94-7)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Tetrabromobisphenol A (79-94-7)
- Hazard Codes
- Risk Statements
- Safety Statements
- UN 3077 9/PG 3
- WGK Germany
- HS Code
- Hazardous Substances Data
- 79-94-7(Hazardous Substances Data)
- LD50 inhalation in guinea pig: > 500mg/m3/8H
Tetrabromobisphenol A Usage And Synthesis
Tetrabromobisphenol A is a white to pale cream or pale yellow crystalline with a moderately high molecular weight, low water solubility, and moderately high lipophilicity (as indicated by log Kow). Only about 4% of the particles are <15 μm in diameter, and thus, little (<4%) is expected to be respirable (<10 μm in diameter) and absorbed from the lung after inhalation exposure.
Tetrabromobisphenol A (TBBPA) is a brominated flame retardant used in a variety of reactive and additive applications. It is reacted (i.e., covalently bound) with epoxy, vinyl esters, and polycarbonate systems (e.g., high impact polystyrene (HIPS), and is used as an additive in acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) thermoplastic resins (Albemarle, 1999). Its primary application is in printed wire boards (PWBs) as a reactive flame retardant (BSEF, 2012).
tetrabromobisphenol A is widely used as a reactive flame retardant to produce a bromine-containing epoxy resin and polycarbonate, and as intermediates for the synthesis of other complex flame retardant, also as an additive flame retardant for ABS, HIPS, unsaturated polyester rigid polyurethane foams, adhesives and coatings.
ChEBI: A bromobisphenol that is 4,4'-methanediyldiphenol in which the methylene hydrogens are replaced by two methyl groups and the phenyl rings are substituted by bromo groups at positions 2, 2', 6 and 6'. It is a brominated flame retardant.
White powder. A monomer for flame-retardant epoxy, polyester and polycarboante resins.
Air & Water Reactions
Insoluble in water.
Tetrabromobisphenol A is monomer.
Moderately toxic by inhalation and skincontact. An eye irritant.
Tetrabromobisphenol A is nonflammable.
Its physicochemical properties suggest that it will partition to all compartments (i.e., water, sediment, and soil), predominantly to sediment and soil through binding to the organic fraction of a particulate matter. Available environmental fate studies indicated that TBBPA is persistent in water (half-life [t1/2] 182 days), soil (t1/2 182 days), and sediment (t1/2 365 days) (Canada, 2013).It lacks functional groups that are expected to undergo hydrolysis (Canada, 2013). A number of laboratory studies (ECHA, 2013) showed that it can degrade to bisphenol A under aerobic conditions (Canada, 2013).
Tetrabromobisphenol A is identified as a persistent, bioaccumulative, and toxic (PBT) compound under the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency s Toxic Release Inventory (EPA, 2013). It was also placed on the State of Washington s Department of Ecology s PBT List (DOC, 2013). However, Environment Canada and Health Canada concluded that TBBPA did not meet their criteria for bioaccumulation (i.e., bioaccumulation factor >5000) (Canada, 2013). This conclusion was based on TBBPA s low bioaccumulation potential from its physicochemical properties (e.g., maximum diameter of 1.3 1.4 nm, ionization at environmentally relevant pH, and variable logKOW), as well as from studies that showed TBBPA is rapidly metabolized and excreted in aquatic and terrestrial organisms (Canada, 2013).
- 021-57450129- ;021-37590756-
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- Carbon tetrabromide
- Tetrabromobisphenol A
- Bisphenol A-phosgene-tetrabromobisphenol A copolymer,TETRABROMOBISPHENOL-APOLYCARBONATE
- CHLOROPHOSPHONAZO III
- Tetrabromobisphenol A bis(allylether),2,2',6,6'-TETRABROMOBISPHENOL A DIALLYL ETHER,TETRABROMOBISPHENOL A DIALLYL ETHER
- Tetrabromobisphenol-A diacrylate
- TETRABROMOBISPHENOL A DIMETHYL ETHER
- TETRABROMOBISPHENOL A BIS(2-HYDROXYETHYL) ETHER,tetrabromobisphenol-a-bisethoxylate
- GAMMA,GAMMA-BIS(3,5-DIBROMO-4-HYDROXY-PHENYL)VALERIC ACID
- 4,4'-isopropylidenebis[2,6-dibromophenyl] diacetate
- TETRABROMOBISPHENOL A DIGLYCIDYL ETHER
- 2,2',6,6'-TETRABROMO BISPHENOL ''A'' DIMETHACRYLATE
- tetrabromobisphenol a dibromopropyl ether,TETRABROMOBISPHENOL A BIS(2,3-DIBROMOPROPYL) ETHER,tetrabromobisphenol a bis(dibromopropyl ether)