Lactonitrile Basic information
- Product Name:
- Propionitrile, 2-hydroxy-
- DL-LACTONITRILE, STAB.
- ethylidene cyanhydrin
- Product Categories:
- Building Blocks
- C1 to C5
- Chemical Synthesis
- Nitrogen Compounds
- Organic Building Blocks
- Mol File:
Lactonitrile Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- Boiling point:
- 90 °C17 mm Hg(lit.)
- 0.991 g/mL at 20 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure
- 15.9Pa at 25℃
- refractive index
- n20/D 1.404
- Flash point:
- 77 °C
- storage temp.
- Refrigerator, under inert atmosphere
- DMSO (Slightly), Methanol (Slightly)
- -0.32 at 25℃
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 78-97-7(CAS DataBase Reference)
- NIST Chemistry Reference
- Propanenitrile, 2-hydroxy-(78-97-7)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Lactonitrile (78-97-7)
- Hazard Codes
- Risk Statements
- Safety Statements
- UN 3276 6.1/PG 1
- WGK Germany
- Hazardous Substances Data
- 78-97-7(Hazardous Substances Data)
- Language:English Provider:Lactonitrile
- Language:English Provider:SigmaAldrich
Lactonitrile Usage And Synthesis
Lactonitrile, is soluble in water and alcohol, but insoluble in diethyl ether and carbon disulfide. Lactonitrile is used chiefly to manufacture lactic acid and its derivatives, primarily ethyl lactate.
It is used primarily as a solvent, and as an intermediate in production of ethyl acetate and lactic acid.
2-Hydroxypropanenitrile is a useful compound for efficient lactamide synthesis by fed batch method using nitrile hydratase of Rhodococcus pyridinivorans NIT-36.
Lactonitrile is derived from acetaldehyde and hydrocyanic acid.
Lactonitrile is manufactured from equimolar amounts of acetaldehyde and hydrogen cyanide containing 1.5% of 20% NaOH at ?10–20 °C. The product is stabilized with sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid hydrolyzes the nitrile to give a mixture of lactic acid and ammonium bisulfate. This mixture can be purified by adding methanol to form methyl lactate which is separated from the ammonium bisulfate. The methyl lactate is distilled, then hydrolyzed back to the aqueous acid. Removal of most of the water yields 90% lactic acid.
Straw colored liquid. Used as a solvent /intermediate in production of ethyl lactate and lactic acid.
Air & Water Reactions
Lactonitrile is incompatible with strong acids, strong bases and strong reducing agents. Lactonitrile is also incompatible with strong oxidizers. In the presence of alkali, Lactonitrile evolves toxic compounds. .
Extremely toxic by oral, skin, or eye contact.
Cyanide fumes released when heated to decomposition. Avoid alkali, oxidizing material.
Lactonitrile Preparation Products And Raw materials
Lactonitrile(78-97-7)Related Product Information
- 2-HYDROXYPROPIONITRILE SOLUTION 100UG/ML IN METHYLENE CHLORIDE 5ML
- DL-LACTONITRILE STAB. PURE 97+%,DL-LACTONITRILE,2-HYDROXYPROPIONITRILE
- phthalic acid, diester with lactonitrile
- 2-Methyl-2-hydroxypropionitrile,Lactonitrile, 2-methyl-,2-METHYL-LACTONITRILE
- Lactonitrile, 3-bromo-2-methyl-, carbamate (ester) (8CI)
- 2-HYDROXYPROPIONITRILE SOLUTION 100UG/ML IN METHYLENE CHLORIDE 5X1ML
- Glycolic acid
- BETA-HYDROXYPROPIONITRILE,3-HYDROXYPROPIONITRILE,3-HYDROXYPROPIONITRILE, 99+%,3-Hydroxypropionitrile, Pract.,3-HYDROXYPROPIONITRILE GR
- Hydroxy silicone oil
- 4-Hydroxybenzoic acid