- Product Name:
- PHENOL-FORMALDEHYDE RESIN
- Phenolic resin,dimethylbenzene modified
- Phenolic moulding plastics PF2A2-131
- Phenolic granular injection moulding plastic SP2501J
- Phenolic resin,melamine modified
- Phenolic resin 264
- Phenolic resin,thermoset
- Product Categories:
- Mol File:
PHENOL-FORMALDEHYDE RESIN Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 94 °C
- 1.10 g/cm3
- Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Formaldehyde phenol polymer (9003-35-4)
PHENOL-FORMALDEHYDE RESIN Usage And Synthesis
Phenol-formaldehyde resin is used in binders, adhesives, laminates, impregnation products, surface coatings, casting sand, etc.
Phenol-formaldehyde resin is prepared as follows:
C6H5OH+H2C=O ---> [-C6H2(OH)CH2-]n
One-Stage Resins. The ratio of formaldehyde to phenol is high enough to allow the thermosetting process to take place without the addition of other sources of cross-links.
Two-Stage Resins. The ratio of formaldehyde to phenol is low enough to prevent the thermosetting reaction from occurring during manufacture of the resin. At this point the resin is termed novolac resin. Subsequently, hexamethylenetetramine is incorporated into the material to act as a source of chemical cross-links during the molding operation (and conversion to the thermoset or cured state).
Phenolic resins are used for low-cost partsrequiring good electrical insulating properties,heat resistance, or chemical resistance. Theaverage shelf life of this resin is about 1 monthat 21.1°C. This can be extended by storing it ina refrigerator at 1.6 to 10°C. Varying the catalyst(according to the thickness of the cast) andraising the cure temperature to 93°C will alterthe cure time from as long as 8 h to as short as15 min.
Some shrinkage occurs in the finished casting(0.012 to 0.6 mm/mm), depending on thequantity of filler, amount of catalyst, and therate of cure. Faster cure cycles produce a higherrate of shrinkage. Since the cure cycle can beaccelerated, phenolics are used in short-runcasting operations.
Cast phenolic parts are easily removed fromthe mold if the parting agents recommended bythe supplier are used. Posteuring improves thebasic properties of the finished casting.
Phenol-formaldehyde resin is a synthetic resin, commonly known as phenolic, made by the reaction of phenol and formaldehyde, and employed as a molding material for the making of mechanical and electrical parts. The resins are also used for laminating, coatings, and casting resins.
Phenolic resins are used most extensively as thermosetting plastic materials, as there are only a few uses as thermoplastics. The polymer is composed of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and sometimes nitrogen. Its molecular weight varies from a very low value during its early state of formation to almost infinity in its final state of cure. The chemical configuration, in the thermoset state, is usually represented by a threedimensional network in which the phenolic nuclei are linked by methylene groups. The completely cross-linked network requires three methylene groups to two phenolic groups. A lesser degree of cross-linking is attainable either by varying the proportions of the ingredients or by blocking some of the reactive positions of the phenolic nucleus by other groups, such as methyl, butyl, etc. Reactivity can be enhanced by increasing the hydroxyl groups on the phenolic nuclei, for example, by the use of resorcinol.
The outstanding characteristics of phenolics are good electrical properties, very rigid set, good tensile strength, excellent heat resistance, good rigidity at elevated temperature, good aging properties; also, good resistance to water, organic solvents, weak bases, and weak acids. All these characteristics are coupled with relatively low cost.
PHENOL-FORMALDEHYDE RESIN Preparation Products And Raw materials
- Phenolic epoxy resin
- Urea formaldehyde
- Phenolic resin varnish
- A-stage phenolic resin
- phenolic resin anodic electrophoretic paint (II)
- sulfonated ligno-sulfomethylated phenolic resin copolymer
- Polyterpene phenolic resin
- sulfonated phenolic resin
- SCREW CAPS 18-400 PHENOLIC RESIN WITH&
- Phenolic Resin 201
- Rosin modified phenol-formaldehyde resin,tung oil,glycerin,phthalic anhydride resin,Rosin modified phenol-formaldehyde resin, tung oil, glycerin, phthalic anhydride resin
- phenolic resin adhesive 2123
- Rosin Modified Phenolic Resin
- Anticorrosive phenolic resin powder coating
- SCREW CAPS 24-430 PHENOLIC RESIN WITH&
- Aluminium powder phenolic resin enamel
- Rosin Modified Phenolic Resin 2118
- p-tert-Octylphenol, phenol, formaldehyde resin