- Product Name:
- Isophorone diisocyanate
- [3,3,5-Trimethyl-5-(isocyanatomethyl)cyclohexyl] isocyanate
- 3-ISOCYANATOMETHYL-3,5,5-TRIMETHYLCYCLOHEXYL ISOCYANATE
- Product Categories:
- Mol File:
Isophorone diisocyanate Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- Boiling point:
- 158-159 °C15 mm Hg(lit.)
- 1.049 g/mL at 25 °C(lit.)
- vapor pressure
- 0.0004 hPa (20 °C)
- refractive index
- n20/D 1.484(lit.)
- Flash point:
- >230 °F
- storage temp.
- Miscible with esters, ketones, ethers, and aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons.
- Clear colorless to slightly yellow
- explosive limit
- Water Solubility
- <0.1 g/100 mL at 25 ºC
- Moisture Sensitive
- Exposure limits
- TLV-TWA 0.0454 mg/m3 (0.005 ppm) (ACGIH and NIOSH); ceiling 0.181 mg/m3 (0.02 ppm)/10 min (NIOSH). .
- Reacts with all substances containing active hydrogen, such as acids, amines, water, phenols, mercaptans, amides, urea. Probably moisture sensitive.
- CAS DataBase Reference
- 4098-71-9(CAS DataBase Reference)
- EPA Substance Registry System
- Isophorone diisocyanate (4098-71-9)
- Hazard Codes
- Risk Statements
- Safety Statements
- UN 2290 6.1/PG 3
- WGK Germany
- Autoignition Temperature
- 430 °C
- HS Code
- Hazardous Substances Data
- 4098-71-9(Hazardous Substances Data)
- LD50 orally in Rabbit: 4825 mg/kg LD50 dermal Rat > 7000 mg/kg
- Language:English Provider:3-Isocyanatomethyl-3,5,5-trimethylcyclohexyl isocyanate
- Language:English Provider:SigmaAldrich
- Language:English Provider:ALFA
Isophorone diisocyanate Usage And Synthesis
colourless or slightly yellow liquid
Yields polyurethanes with high stability, resistance to light discoloration, and chemical resistance.
Isophorone diisocyanate (IPDI) is used in theproduction of high-quality coatings, polyurethane paints, and varnishes and as an elastomer for casting compounds..
Isophorone diisocyanate is used in the manufacture of polyurethane with high stability, resistance to light discoloration and chemical resistance; used in paints and varnishes for hardness, flexibility, abrasion, chemical resistance to chalking and weathering; as an elastomer applicable for casting compounds and mastics to highly flexible textile coatings; foams; hard industrial coatings; manufacture of contact lenses; curing.
ChEBI: A diisocyanate in which the two isocyanate groups are linked by an isophorone substituent.
A clear to light-yellow liquid. Slightly denser than water and insoluble in water. Toxic by inhalation and skin absorption. Very irritating to skin. Used to make polyurethane coatings.
Air & Water Reactions
Insoluble in water. Isophorone diisocyanate may be sensitive to moisture.
Isophorone diisocyanate reacts with all substances containing active hydrogen atoms such as water, alcohols, phenols, amines, mercaptans, amides, urethanes and ureas.
A severe irritant, toxic by skin absorption.
Like most other isocyanates, IPDI exhibitsmoderate toxicity via inhalation. The acutetoxic symptoms are somewhat similar tothose of toluene-2,4- diisocyanate and diphenylmethane-4,4'-diisocyanate. Thus thetoxicity of such types is a characteristic ofthe -N=C=O functional group and to agreat extent is independent of the nature ofthe ring.
Inhalation of its vapor can cause bronchitis, asthma, tightness of chest, and dyspnea in humans. Recovery from these effectsmay occur in a short period from a lowconcentration exposure.
IPDI is an irritant to the skin and eyes.Exposure to this compound produces skinsensitization and eczema. Its oral toxicity isvery low.
LC50 value, inhalation (rats): 123 mg/m3/4 hrLD50 value, skin (rats): 1060 mg/m3
There is no report of its carcinogenic orreproductive effects in animals or humans.
Isophorone diisocyanate is highly toxic by inhalation and moderately toxic through the skin. (Non-Specific -- Isocyanates) People with skin or respiratory problems should avoid exposure.
When heated to decomposition, Isophorone diisocyanate emits toxic fumes of nitrogen oxides.
Disposal is by chemical incineration of IPDIsolution in a combustible solvent.
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- 400-610-6006; 021-67582000
- 021-67121386 / 800-988-0390
- TRIMETHYL-1,6-HEXAMETHYLENE DIISOCYANATE
- Butyl isocyanate
- 1-METHYLINDOLE-2-CARBOXALDEHYDE 97
- Propyl isocyanate
- CYCLOHEXANEMETHYL ISOCYANATE 97
- Hexyl isocyanate
- Isobutyl isocyanate
- Hexamethylene Diisocyanate
- 1,4-Phenylene diisocyanate
- 4,4'-Diphenylmethane diisocyanate
- Isophorone diisocyanate