- Product Name:
- Cefotaxime sodium
- (6R,7R)-7-[[(Z)-(2-Amino-4-thiazolyl)(methoxyimino)acetyl]amino]-3-[(acetyloxy)methyl]-8-oxo-5-thia-1-azabicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-2-carboxylic acid sodium salt
- (6R,7R)-7α-[2-(2-Amino-4-thiazolyl)-2-[(Z)-methoxyimino]acetylamino]-3-(acetoxymethyl)-8-oxo-5-thia-1-azabicyclo[4.2.0]oct-2-ene-2-carboxylic acid sodium salt
- Cefotaxime sodium salt,Cefotaxim sodium salt
- Cefotaxime Sodium (350 mg)
- Cefotaxime Sodium (250 mg)J0C189901ug/mg(ai)
- Cefotaxime Sodium (250 mg)
- Product Categories:
- Pharmaceutical intermediate
- Antibiotics for Research and Experimental Use
- beta-Lactams (Antibiotics for Research and Experimental Use)
- Antibiotic Explorer
- Intermediates & Fine Chemicals
- Sulfur & Selenium Compounds
- Mol File:
Cefotaxime sodium Chemical Properties
- Melting point:
- 162-163 C
- D20 +55±2° (c = 0.8 in water)
- refractive index
- 61 ° (C=1, H2O)
- storage temp.
- H2O: aqueous solutions of pH 4.3-6.2 are stable up to 3 weeks at 2-8 °C.soluble
- white to yellow
- pH(100g/l, 25℃) : 4.5～6.5
- Water Solubility
- Soluble in water.
- Stable. Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents.
- Language:English Provider:SigmaAldrich
Cefotaxime sodium Usage And Synthesis
Brand Name(s) in US
White to pale yellow crystalline powder
Broad spectrum third generation cephalosporin antibiotic. The name Cefotaxime applies to the isomer having a syn-methoxy imino group
ChEBI: A cephalosporin organic sodium salt having acetoxymethyl and [2-(2-amino-1,3-thiazol-4-yl)-2-(methoxyimino)acetyl]amino side-groups.
A solution of 8 g of sodium bicarbonate in about 20 ml of ethanol was progressively added to 45.55 g of pure 3-acetoxymethyl-7-[2-(2-amino-4- thiazolyl)-2-methoxyiminoacetamido]-ceph-3-eme-4-carboxylic acid in 100 ml of distilled water and another 80 ml of ethanol and 4.5 g of activated carbon were added thereto. The mixture was stirred for 5 minutes and was filtered. The filter was rinsed with ethanol and the filtrate was evaporated to dryness under reduced pressure. The residue was taken up in 100 ml of ethanol and evaporated to dryness again. The residue was dissolved in 100 ml of methanol and the solution was poured into 2 l of acetone. The mixture was vigorously stirred and was vacuum filtered. The recovered product was rinsed with acetone and then ether and dried under reduced pressure to obtain 43.7 g of a white product which rehydrated in air to obtain a final weight of 45.2 g of sodium 3-acetoxymethyl-7-[2-(2-amino-4-thiazolyl)-2- methoxyiminoacetamido]-ceph-3-eme-4-carboxylate.
Claforan (Sanofi Aventis).
Cefotaxime (Claforan) was the first third-generationcephalosporin to be introduced. It possesses excellentbroad-spectrum activity against Gram-positive and Gramnegativeaerobic and anaerobic bacteria. It is more activethan moxalactam against Gram-positive organisms. Manyβ-lactamase–producing bacterial strains are sensitive to cefotaxime,including N. gonorrhoeae, Klebsiella spp., H. influenzae,S. aureus, and E. cloacae. Some, but not all,Pseudomonas strains are sensitive. Enterococci and Listeriamonocytogenes are resistant.
The syn-isomer of cefotaxime is significantly more activethan the anti-isomer against β-lactamase–producing bacteria.This potency difference is, in part, because of greaterresistance of the syn-isomer to the action of β-lactamases.The higher affinity of the syn-isomer for PBPs, however,may also be a factor.
Cefotaxime is metabolized in part to the less active desacetylmetabolite. Approximately 20% of the metaboliteand 25% of the parent drug are excreted in the urine. Theparent drug reaches the cerebrospinal fluid in sufficient concentrationto be effective in the treatment of meningitis.Solutions of cefotaxime sodium should be used within 24hours. If stored, they should be refrigerated. Refrigerated solutionsmaintain potency up to 10 days.
Veterinary Drugs and Treatments
In the United States, there are no cefotaxime products approved for veterinary species but it has been used clinically in several species when an injectable 3rd generation cephalosporin may be indicated.
Cefotaxime sodium Preparation Products And Raw materials
- 010-82848833- ;010-82848833-
- Ceftriaxone sodium
- Sodium acetate
- 7-Amino-3-methyl-3-cephem-4-carboxylic acid
- Hydroxymethyl-7-Aminocephalosporanic acid
- 2-Acetamidoacrylic acid
- 7-Amino-3-cephem-4-carboxylic acid
- 3-(Methylthio)propyl acetate
- 7-Amino-3-methoxy-3-cephem-4-carboxylic acid